|Coriander seeds||4 tbsp|
|Cumin seeds||2 tbsp|
|Black peppercorns||1 tbsp|
|Green or black cardamom||4 pods|
|Crushed bay leaves||1|
So, what is garam masala, the magic spice powder that goes into every Indian meal? Garam masala is nothing but spices blended together and ready to use when cooking. Just add this magic powder and instantly add flavor to your dish. People have different recipes and combinations, methods and techniques. It is something that is created over years of experimenting with the combination of ingredients, and often inherited from mothers and grandmothers. Here is the recipe that I use.
A couple of notes before we get started:
- Some people dry roast the spices before blending but I don’t because when I dry roast it I feel the flavor is lost much more quickly .
- If you use it more often you can leave it outside, if you are an occasional user you can store this in the fridge for upto 3 months.
- This recipe makes about 8 tbsp of masala
- Measure all the ingredients.
- Break the big pieces into small ones as much as possible so it will be easy to grind.
- Grind in a coffee grinder or a kitchen grinder that can grind hard stuff. I use a Magic Bullet, but any good grinder will work.
- Grind it for a few minutes untill the spice is down to a fine powder.
- Store it in a airtight container.